Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Why I Chose AMD And How It Chose Me

Here it is, everyone! My big post that I feel like was just waiting to be written. If there were any post, just one post, you could read on my tech blog here on Blogspot, it should definitely be this one right here. Just continue to read, all the way to the bottom, and even watch the video once or twice, because this one is going to be my finest, most informative post on here.

What are we talking about? Well, how about why I chose AMD overall in the CPU market, and a little story about how it chose me.

Why AMD?

There are certain reasons I chose AMD over companies like Intel, but those are more private and much more minor factors into my decision making. However, there are a ton of major things I found about AMD that I simply preferred over tech giants like Intel. 

For starters, everything seems much cheaper for the value you are getting. Obviously, nothing much in technology is cheap anymore, especially if you are going for something more advanced like a gaming machine, or even more advanced: building your own gaming rig. So that definitely is a factor when deciding what companies to purchase from. 


Doing benchmarks, I found two almost identical -- keyword on the "almost", because you simply cannot find two identical CPUs from different companies -- processors between Intel and AMD. I will not mention the second one, though it should be noted to included at least one of the processors I benchmarked: the AMD FX-8320. As mentioned, I will not publish what the other Intel processor that compared to this was, simply because I do not want to ignite a flame between two sides.

Anyway, the FX-8320 cost a couple hundred, while the Intel CPU cost just around $40-$50 more -- right now, both have been on discounts that put them at significantly lower prices, but you will have to check that out for yourself. 

The benchmarks revealed they can both run heavy games like The Witcher 2 or Crysis 3 at the same pace. Graphical capabilities were all there. Yet, how come I had to pay an extra $50 or so to get the same product? Intel might have a few more features, but AMD has pros in its own right.

The Story of How it Chose Me

The story of how the AMD processor chose me was quite funny actually. I was repairing one of my friends' computers back in the day and found she had a processor that was compatible with the one I had at home. The CPU was not the problem, so I decided to just rent her processor and replace it with mine. Obviously, I intended to give it back but I simply wanted to try AMD, since I had previously only used their products twice on someone else's PC.

I ended up not going back from my Intel processor. I had to pay my friend a premium for basically stealing her CPU, but it's alright. I got my money's worth, in my opinion, since I was introduced to a pretty great company in AMD.

That's my story.

Thank you very much for reading.

1 comment:

  1. As an AMD fanboy, I just couldn't jump ship and have been loyal.
    Alas, I have to admit that Intel has great performance for a gamer like myself, and I recommend it to everyone over AMD.
    I'm still upset with Intel's malpractices but since I've been waiting for 4 years for a decent replacement to my FX-6300, I'm slowly losing hope for AMD. I hope that Zen can deliver.

    My very first computer was with an AMD processor, it performed admirably, my first experience with AMD and the joy.(Back in the Windows XP days) I got a desktop with Intel one time, but it was due to an act of kindness. Other than that, it has been AMD desktops and laptops all the way.

    ReplyDelete